Online reviews have become an important influence in where customers decide to shop. With so many different online review sources, prospective customers now rely on firsthand opinions and ratings from past buyers. These reviews not only offer valuable insight into a product or service’s quality and function for customers—they also present a unique opportunity for businesses to interact with their online community.
More and more businesses are recognizing how online reviews shape their credibility and overall success, and are now incorporating strategies to manage their online reputation. By engaging directly with customers, responding to reviews, and using feedback to drive improvements, you can build trust, foster customer loyalty, and differentiate your brand from competitors with similar offerings.
What do online reviews include?
Online reviews refer to customer comments, opinions, and evaluations on various online platforms to express their experience, satisfaction, or dissatisfaction with a product, service, or company. These reviews can be found on Google or Trustpilot for companies that have a business profile, or on online shopping platforms like Amazon and Target with integrated product review systems.
Many businesses, especially ecommerce sites, have a built-in review system on their websites letting customers rate products and provide feedback. Business social media platforms have also become common review sources, as consumers use them to discuss their experiences, post reviews, and ask product-related questions.
Why your business should respond to online reviews
Customer reviews come in all shapes and colors. While it’s easy to respond to positive ones, it’s important to reply to as many as possible. Here’s what you can accomplish by responding to customer reviews online.
- Shape customer perception of your brand – Responding to reviews demonstrates a commitment to customer satisfaction, reinforces brand association, and enhances overall customer perception while helping to mitigate the impact of negative reviews.
- Control the narrative – You can provide clarifications, explanations, or resolutions, as well as present your side of the story and mitigate the negative impact on your reputation for poor reviews. Responding also ensures that customers have accurate information about your business, products, and services.
- Set accurate expectations – Address concerns, answer questions, or clarify misconceptions to help your business set realistic expectations that align with your actual offerings.
- Show that you’re listening and make customers feel heard – Acknowledging positive and negative feedback shows that your business truly cares and listens to customers.
- Help customers find accurate information while shopping or researching – Because many customers seek reviews before making a purchase, your response allows you to directly address concerns and provide additional information that can influence the purchasing process. Reviews can also give you a good idea of common questions that come up, and can inspire you to update your website and marketing with clearer product information.
- Increase your review rating – When you respond to reviews and concerns, you create a positive brand experience, even for customers who may have been disappointed with their purchase. This can encourage people to give your brand another chance, and it can also lead to more positive reviews about your customer service.
- Retain customers and build trust – Inspire customers to change their opinion of your organization and keep them as return clients. This can also encourage them to share their positive experience with others, whether it’s through word of mouth or another online review.
- Strengthen SEO with keywords – Search engines often take into account the frequency and relevance of user-generated content, so responding to reviews can increase the amount of content associated with your business, which helps boost visibility.
Tips for responding to online reviews
One of the biggest reasons small businesses should respond to online reviews is to maintain a positive reputation. Here are some tips for how to respond to reviews effectively.
- Address customer feedback promptly – Time is of the essence, so you should respond as soon as you can to a review. This shows that you appreciate feedback and want to address customer concerns immediately.
- Establish a scalable system for your company – Create a standardized process to manage online reviews efficiently and consistently. Brand guidelines and sample templates with your brand’s voice and values can help ensure your team responds in a consistent manner.
- Assign clear swimlanes for team members – Designate specific team members with clearly defined roles and responsibilities to handle different platforms or channels to ensure prompt and consistent responses.
- Always thank the customer for helping your business get better – Express gratitude and appreciation for their contribution, letting them know that their input is valued.
- Be sure to claim your business profile on Google and other review platforms – Claim your business profile to ensure you have control over the information presented and that you can respond to reviews directly.
How to respond to positive reviews
When responding to positive reviews, it’s important to convey appreciation and encourage further engagement. Here’s how you can respond:
- Be concise – Keep it short, sweet, and to the point. Express gratitude and highlight a specific review detail you appreciated.
- Encourage further engagement – Encourage the reviewer to try different products and/or services, share their experiences with friends, or follow your brand on social media.
- Promote repeat business or loyalty program – Use the response as an opportunity to encourage repeat business, or highlight a new product, promotion, or loyalty program.
How to respond to neutral reviews
With neutral reviews, it’s important to address any concerns while highlighting positive aspects. Here’s how to respond:
- Reframe to focus on positive aspect – Acknowledge the reviewer’s feedback while highlighting a strength or positive feature of your product or service.
- Upsell or cross-sell – Use the response as an opportunity to offer a special deal, upgrade, or additional product/service that might improve the customer’s experience.
- Offer additional means of communication for any concerns – Give different communication channel options to address concerns or questions customers may have. For example, if a customer reaches out via social media, encourage them to contact your customer service team for live support.
How to respond to negative reviews
Although negative reviews sting, they can provide your business with valuable input. The trick is to respond in a positive, actionable, and professional way.
- Remain professional and never take criticism personally – Maintain a professional tone and refrain from becoming defensive or confrontational.
- Investigate what went wrong internally (if applicable) – Look into the issue and consult with the relevant departments to gather information about the customer’s experience—and find ways you can improve for the future.
- Be honest if mistakes were made – If your business made a mistake, acknowledge it directly. Take responsibility to demonstrate that your company values accountability and is committed to rectifying negative customer experiences.
- Show compassion and empathy for customer – Acknowledge the customer’s frustration, letting them know you understand their perspective.
- Apologize for experience when appropriate – If the negative experience was a result of a mistake on your end, apologize sincerely. However, if the issue was beyond your control, express sympathy instead of taking responsibility.
- Invite customer to speak with support team if necessary – Always provide further communication options in case the customer has additional questions or wants to discuss their experience in more detail.
Listening to customer feedback
Online reviews provide a lot of value to businesses. Responding to customer feedback is a vital aspect of building a strong brand and creating customer loyalty. By actively listening and learning from customer reviews, your business can gain valuable insight into what you’re doing well and where you need to improve.
While it may not be possible to respond to every single review, it’s important to take the time to craft thoughtful and strategic responses to as many as you can, and scale the operation so your team can scale your efforts. This helps demonstrate your commitment to customer satisfaction and delivering an exceptional experience—which both help create customer loyalty in the long run.
Empower your team to help with banking and bill pay, all with secure individual logins.